Google’s latest Android OS, Android 8.0 Oreo is official and available for supported devices. Developer communities are now busy porting Android 8.0 Oreo for popular devices, including the Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4. A working port of Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP custom ROM is now available for Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4 international variant (cancro). If you are excited to experience the new OS on your Mi 3/Mi 4, here is how to get it now.
In this guide, we show you how to install Android 8.0 Oreo on Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4. Since both devices have similarities in hardware specs, the said Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP (Android open source project) ROM will work on both devices. However, note that the ROM is a testing build, so do not install on a device that is using as a daily driver.
Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP custom ROM brings pure vanilla interface and features of latest Android operating system to Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4 (cancro). Though this is an initial build, most things are working fine.
In the below guide we show you how to flash Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP custom ROM on Xiaomi Mi 3 and Xiaomi Mi 4. The guide assumes that your device is unlocked and have installed latest version of TWRP recovery on it.
How to Install Android 8.0 Custom ROM on Xiaomi Mi 3 & Mi 4
Disclaimer: This procedure will void your device’s warranty. Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
Important: As always, backup any important file stored on your device before flashing the ROM. Also, do not forget to make a system backup from TWRP recovery.
1. Copy and save all zip files (ROM and Gapps) to your phone’s internal storage.
2. Disconnect your phone from PC (if connected), turn it off and boot it into TWRP recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up & Power buttons together.
3. In recovery, perform a full data wipe by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset, wipe Cache Partition and Dalvik Cache.
4. Now, return to main recovery menu, choose “Install”, and flash ROM and Gapps one by one.
5. Finally reboot your device. It will take few minutes to complete the first boot.
Troubleshooting: If you have got error while flashing the ROM, go to TWRP, select mount and unmount system. Then mount system again.
Now, go to
Advanced /File manager /system/bin/devicecheck.sh and tap to chmod. Repeat the ROM installation again without wiping anything.
Leave your views in the comment section below. You can read more about this ROM and discussion at the XDA thread.