Last week Google rolled out the Android 8.0 Oreo for Pixel and Nexus device, since then developer communities are busy developing custom ROMs based on Android 8.0 Oreo. OnePlus X has received the first Android 8.0 Oreo update via unofficial LineageOS 15 ROM. Custom ROM fans can download and flash the ROM and experience the all new Oreo on their OnePlus X.
The below guide describes how to update OnePlus X to Android 8.0 Oreo via unofficial LineageOS 15 ROM. Developed by an XDA member YumeMichi, the ROM is not yet ready for daily use, though most things are working as expected, such as the RIL, WiFi, sensors, etc. However, tech-savvy owners of OnePlus X can tryout the ROM right now.
Installing LineageOS 15 (onyx) on OnePlus X is a simple process, if your device’s bootloader is unlocked and have latest version of TWRP recovery (version 3…) installed on it.
Follow the detailed step-by-step guide on installing LOS 15 using TWRP custom recovery on OnePlus X.
Note: Backup every data you have on the phone on a safe location. Also, make sure your phone is fully charged (at least around 50%).
How to Install Unofficial LineageOS 15 on OnePlus X
Disclaimer: Follow the guide at your own risk. We will not be responsible for any damage that occurs. The guide is intended for technically talented users only.
1. Download latest build of unofficial LineageOS 15 for OnePlus X (onyx) from here and save it on your phone’s internal storage. Also download Android 8.0 Oreo compatible Gapps zip file from here and save it on your phone.
2. Boot you phone into TWRP recovery (with the device powered down, hold the Volume Down and Power buttons).
3. In TWRP recovery, select ‘Wipe’ and perform a factory reset, wipe data and the Dalvik cache. Do not use the ‘format data’ option, as it will format the internal storage and the ROM you just saved.
4. Now, in TWRP tap ‘Install’, navigate and select the ROM zip file. Confirm the action by swiping the arrow to the left. Repeat it for installing Gapps file.
5. Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, reboot your phone, setup and enjoy.
Troubleshooting: If you have come across bootloop issue (stuck in a bootloop) after installing LOS 15, reboot your OnePlus X into TWRP recovery mode, and then wipe cache partition and dalvik cache. (Source – XDA)