After being rolled out Android 7.0 Nougat for Moto Z and Z Force, the official Android Nougat update finally arrived for Moto Z Play. The OTA update is rolling out in phases, so it will take a week or more to get the update on all devices. However, if you cannot wait for the OTA or unable to download the OTA update file (weighs around 1GB) due to network issue, you can manually update Moto Z Play to Android 7.0 Nougat via your PC.
In this guide, we let you know how to update Moto Z Play to Android 7.0 Nougat manually. The below guide requires some technical skill, knowledge on ADB commands, official firmware and a computer. The Moto Z Play Nougat update file weighs around 880MB, You can download and sideload the file on your device via ADB. Read on to know to update Moto Z Play to Android Nougat manually.
Android 7.0 Nougat update brings various new features and performance enhancements to Moto Z Play. Users can experience the new multi-tasking feature, new notification features, enhanced battery life saving feature, mobile data saving in stand-by mode, many value added features and Android’s January security. Note that since the Moto Z Play is not a Daydream-ready phone, the update will not bring stand-alone VR capabilities to the phone.
Comes to the manual update method, to apply the Android 7.0 Nougat OTA (over the air) update your Moto Z Play should be running on the most recent firmware version (Marshmallow). Also, install ADB and fastboot driver on the computer.
How to install Android 7.0 Nougat OTA update on Moto Z Play manually
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
1. Enable ‘USB Debugging’ in Developer Options’ menu.
3. Now, switch off the phone and turn it on by pressing Power and Volume Down buttons together.
4. In recovery mode, choose ‘Apply update from ADB’ and then connect your phone to PC.
5. Go to the folder where OTA update file is saved and open a command window from there (press Shift key, right click and choose open command window here)
6. Check your device for proper connection by issuing the below command:
7. If your device is listed, then issue the below command to sideload. (If your device is not listed, install proper ADB driver)
adb sideload filename.zip [replace filename.zip with original filename]
8. After the process completes, reboot your phone.
You are now installed Android 7.0 Nougat update on Moto Z Play. Leave your views in the comment section below. (Source – G4liant)