Xiaomi smartphones run on the latest version of MIUI has a hidden feature to play YouTube music with screen off. The Screen Off tool in MIUI 12 lets you play YouTube in the background on your phone. Here’s how to use the Screen Off feature to play YouTube music with screen off on your smartphone.
Play video sound with screen off is a part of the MIUI Video Toolbox. This handy toolbox supports carries for some apps and tools that you can access while watching videos. For example, Screen Off, Record, Screen Cast, etc., which you can access while watching YouTube videos on Xiaomi smartphones.
How to Play YouTube in Background on Xiaomi Smartphone
- Open Settings menu on your phone, go to Special Features and tap on Video Toolbox
- Turn on Video toolbox option and Video toolbox shortcut option.
- Tap on Manage video apps, and select YouTube.
- Now, open YouTube app and play any video.
- You will now see a small shortcut on the side of your display.
- Swipe the shortcut and tap on ‘Play video sound with screen off’.
That’s it. You may need to wipe the cache of the YouTube app before using it for playing in the background.
FYI, usually, you won’t be able to listen to YouTube music in the background on Android smartphones without an app like YouTube Vanced. But there is a workaround to make it work. Also, a custom version of Android, for example, MIUI 12 and MIUI 11, has a hidden feature to play YouTube music in the background while the screen is off.
- How to view Lyrics on YouTube Music app for Android
- How to turn on Sleep Timer in your favorite Music Player on Android Phone
- Set Spotify/YouTube Music songs as music Alarm on any Android phone
- How to play free YouTube Music in background while screen is off