YouTube Music gives access to an impressive library of album songs and music videos and makes that music available on the go. But you won’t get all the features without a subscription. For example, Spotify lets you play music when the screen is off and in the background without a subscription, but free YouTube Music will not allow it.
There is an easy way to listen to free YouTube Music in the background on your smartphone. It doesn’t require a subscription for the streaming service, third-party app, or root access. This trick allows you to play the audio in the background, and even while using other apps.
So, here is how to stream free YouTube Music songs in the background of your device without a subscription.
Steps to Listen to Free YouTube Music When Screen Off on Smartphone
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Head to the music.youtube.com and play any song.
- Now, tap on the three vertical dots menu of Chrome.
- Next, check the box next to the Desktop site to enable the desktop view of YouTube Music.
- Lock your device and go to the lock screen.
- Media playback controls (play, next, previous, etc.) will show on the lock screen.
You can close the Chrome browser and open any other app on your phone. YouTube Music will continue playing the background. The media controls will be available in the Notification panel (on Android 10 and 11 devices). So this is how to listen to free YouTube Music when the screen off on your smartphone.
- How to view Lyrics on YouTube Music app for Android
- How to turn on Sleep Timer in your favorite Music Player on Android Phone
- Set Spotify/YouTube Music songs as music Alarm on any Android phone