Xiaomi Redmi 3S will not get official MIUI 9 based Android 7.1.2 Nougat update. For example, the latest MIUI 9 Global Beta 8.1.18 ROM for the phone is based on the Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Users can still enjoy Android 7.1.2 Nougat on the phone via LineageOS 14.1. A fully working port of LineageOS 14.1 is now available for Redmi 3S/Redmi 3S Prime (code named land).
In this guide, we show you know how to install LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Redmi 3S and Redmi 3S Prime. The below guide provides detailed installation instruction for the phone. All you need unlocked bootloader and latest version of TWRP recovery installed on the phone. If you have not already done it, you may refer this guide.
LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2 Nougat) brings stock UI, and features like multi-window mode, bundled notifications, direct reply for notification, improved Doze battery saving feature, mobile data saving in standby mode, and several value added features to enhance user experience.
Keep in mind that, since it is a custom ROM you may experience unknown bugs while using it. So, install the ROM at your own risk.
1. Unlocked bootloader and TWRP custom recovery installed on the phone.
2. Backup every data you have on the phone
3. At least 50% battery charge reaming on the phone.
How to Install Unofficial LineageOS 14.1 on Redmi 3S/Prime
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
2. Download Android 7.1 compatible arm 64 Gapps [here]
3. Transfer both zip files on your phone.
4. Reboot Redmi 3S into TWRP (Turn off your phone, press and hold Volume Down + Power Key together).
5. In TWRP, select Wipe > Advanced wipe > and wipe Data, System, Cache and Dalvik Cache.
6. Now, select ‘Install’, navigate to ROM zip file and swipe to flash. Install Gapps zip file also. Finally, reboot your phone.
You have now successfully installed LineageOS 14.1 on Redmi 3S. Set up and enjoy your new OS (Source – karthick mostwanted)