Back tap gesture is a new feature of iOS 14, which lets you open Assistant, Camera, on/off the torch, or run any app by double or triple tapping on the back of the phone. Here’s how to get the iOS14 back tap gesture on any Android phone run on Android 7.0 and up. So you can open Google Assistant, take screenshot, open Camera, and more with a double tap on the back of your Android phone.
You can configure the Back Tap gesture to open any app or utilities in your iPhone with a double-tap or triple-tap in iOS 14. Happily, you can bring it on Android phones with the Tap, Tap app, an open-source initiative. Google introduced the back tap gesture with Android 11 developer preview, so you may get it on your device when the stable build releases.
How to Add Back Tap Gesture to Your Android Phone
- Download Tap, Tap app APK file (link) and install the APK.
- Go to your phone’s app drawer and open the Tap, Tap app.
- Tap on the “Accessibility Service is disabled” option and enable it for Tap, Tap app.
- Now, tap on Action and then tap the “+Add Action” button.
- Select “Launch” to launch any app (Assistant, Camera, or other apps) for double tap.
- Choose “Utilities” to turn on/off Torch for the back gesture.
- Choose “Action” to take a screenshot, open notification, lock the screen, open Recents, etc. for double tap back gesture.
- Now, tap on “Gates” to configure when the back tap gesture works. For example, when the screen is off or on, when charging or not, etc.
Note that at the timing of this writing, the Tap, Tap app is in an early testing phase (beta stage), so it may not work as intended on your phone. To get the latest version, follow its development on GitHub.
FYI, Tap, Tap is a port of Android 11’s double tap on back gesture and the app requires Android 7.0 and up. We have tested the app on Xiaomi Mi A3, and it is working well. It seems that Google has a plan to add back tap gestures for Pixel devices with Android 11. At the same time, the back tap gesture is available on some Xiaomi devices via MIUI 12 update.
- Get iOS 14’s Camera and Microphone Access Indicator on Android
- How to change your Android Phone’s Volume Panel style?
- MIUI 12 Control Center for any Android Phone
- Get Digital Wellbeing and App Lock feature on Android TV