The Snapdragon variant Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 is relatively a new Android phone that offers good performance at reasonable price. However, tech-savvy owners who want development, such as installing custom ROM on this device required unlocked bootloader, custom recovery like TWRP and root access on the phone. Read on to know how to unlock bootloader, install TWRP recovery and root Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon variant.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 is not a developer friendly device, as getting root on the device is not easy. However, there is a way to obtain root on it. if you have enough reason to unlock the bootloader, have TWRP custom recovery and get root access on your Redmi Note 4, then check out the guide below.
Installing custom ROMs, customizing the device, strip off bloat apps, perform full backup of the phone, etc. are some of the main uses of TWRP recovery and root. However, note that all these will void your device’s warranty and will not get further official OTA software update.
Warning: The below guide will void your device warranty. Also, it will wipe your device completely. Backup data you have on the phone before proceeding.
How to Unlock Bootloader, Install TWRP and Root Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon)
Disclaimer: This guide is for advanced users only. We will not take responsibility for anything that goes wrong.
How to Unlock Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Bootloader Officially
1. Apply for unlocking permissions [HERE]. It will take few days to get permission.
2. Download Mi Unlock app to your PC from Mi Unlock page.
3. On your phone, enable ‘OEM Unlock’ and ‘USB debugging’ options in Developer Options.
4. Now, boot your phone into Fastboot mode by using the key combination Volume Down + Power.
5. Run the Mi Unlock app on your computer, login to your account, connect your device and follow the unlock procedure. Once done, reboot your device.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 4
Note: This guide assume that ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your computer (If not follow this guide).
1. Install proper driver for your device on your computer. Get it from official website.
2. Download TWRP recovery (unofficial) for Redmi Note 4 [HERE].
3. Enable “USB Debugging” and “OEM Unlock” in Developer Options settings.
4. Copy and paste the TWRP recovery image (twrp_mido.img) inside the ADB installation folder on your computer.
5. Boot your phone into Fastboot mode by using Power + Volume Down key combination.
6. Now, flash TWRP recovery by issuing the below command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp_mido.img
7. Once done, reboot your phone by issuing the below command:
How to Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
1. Download Chainfire’s SuperSU zip file from here and save it on your device
2. Download boot.img patcher from here and save it on your phone.
3. Boot your device into TWRP recovery mode by using Power + Volume Down key combination.
4. In TWRP, tap on ‘Install’, select boot.img patcher and swipe right to confirm the flash. Once done, select SuperSU zip file and swipe to confirm flash.
5. Once done, reboot your device.
Note that, the SuperSu installation will cause reboot your device once again, wait for the phone to boot. Any question, leave it in the comment section below. (Source – suhas.holla)