Like OnePlus 3T and previous OnePlus devices, the newly launched OnePlus 5 is also a developer friendly device. OnePlus allow users unlocking the bootloader of OnePlus 5 without voiding the warranty, but the process will factory reset the device. Tech-savvy users can easily unlock OnePlus 5 bootloader, install TWRP custom recovery, and root, but should be proceed with caution.
In this guide we let you know how to unlock OnePlus 5 bootloader. Bootloader is a security feature of the device, so do not proceed unless you have a specific reason for unlocking the bootloader. Installing custom ROMs like LineageOS, back up the entire system, backup EFS data, customize the device, etc. are some of the main use of unlocked bootloader.
Warning: Though unlocking bootloader of OnePlus 5 will not void warranty, there is no guarantee for it, so do it at your own risk. Also, make sure to backup all important files, as unlocking bootloader will wipe files and data on your device.
– You need to install OnePlus 5 drivers on your computer
– ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your computer (You may follow this guide)
How to Unlock OnePlus 5 Bootloader
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only
1. Enable USB debugging and OEM Unlock on OnePlus 5 (To do so, go to Settings > About Phone > tap Build number 7 times. Now, go to Settings > Developers Options > Enable USB debugging & OEM Unlock)
2. Boot your OnePlus 5 into Bootloader/Fastboot mode (Press Power + Volume Up buttons)
3. Whilst in Bootloader/Fastboot mode, connect your device to your PC via USB and allow the drivers to install.
4. Go to the ADB installation folder and open a command window from there (press Shift key, right click and select Open a command window option)
5. Run below code to ensure fastboot is working:
6. If your device’s serial number listed, you can continue with the unlocking process. If not, install proper driver file.
7. Now, to unlock the bootloader run the below command:
fastboot oem unlock
This will unlock OnePlus 5’s bootloader. In the screen, choose ‘Yes’ and it will reboot automatically.
Finally, check unlock status of your device by issuing the command ‘
fastboot oem device-info’. If the device is unlocked you will get ‘true’. (Source – OnePlus)