Xiaomi Mi3 and Mi4 users can now enjoy Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on their device by installing official CyanogenMod 12.1 custom ROM. Xiaomi will release the new MIUI7 ROM based on the Android 5.1 Lollipop on Aug 24 for most devices, including Mi3 and Mi4. However, if you prefer stock Android UI rather than Xiaomi’s MIUI on your Mi3 or Mi4, go ahead and install Official CyanogenMod 12.1 on it.
Checkout the following installation guide to know how to install official CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) on your Xiaomi Mi3 and Mi4. The CM12.1 for Mi3 and Mi4 (cancro) is a nightly build, which means the ROM is not fully stable, but almost everything is working fine.
The CyanogenMod 12.1 cancro build supports both Xiaomi Mi3 and Mi4 phones, because both have virtually the same code. To install the CM12.1 custom ROM, your phone must be rooted and custom recovery like TWRP installed on it.
How to Install Official CyanogenMod 12.1 on Xiaomi Mi3 and Mi4
Warning: This procedure will void your device’s warranty. Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only. As always, backup any important file stored on your device before flashing the ROM. Also, do not forget to make a system backup from custom recovery.
1. Your phone must have root access and custom TWRP recovery on it. Follow this guide for details.
3. Disconnect your phone from PC, turn it off and boot it into TWRP recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up & Power buttons together.
4. In recovery, perform a full data wipe by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset, wipe Cache Partition and Dalvik Cache.
5. Now, return to main recovery menu, choose “Install”, and find the CM 12.1 ROM zip file you transferred. Once the process is completed, install Gapps zip file also.
6. Finally reboot your device. It will take few minutes to complete the first boot.
Note: If you come across bootloop issue (stuck in boot), reboot to recovery (use Power and Volume Down keys), and wipe cache partition, dalvik cache and factory reset.