The following tips may help you in two situations: when the normal uninstallation of Office 2010 failed and when the fresh installation freezes in the middle and prevents further installation or uninstallation of Office 2010.
If you got an error message that saying “this product installation has been corrupted…..” when trying to uninstall Office 2010 (beta), the tips that I found on Techgeekmore may help you.
There are two methods: Most probably the error is caused by a missing xml file from the Grove portion of the Office installation. However, if you haven’t installed Groove, there are other reasons also.
First method with Groove installed: To solve this issue, you will need a copy of your installation source / CD.
1 – Locate the Grove Folder on your installation Source / CD
2 – Copy the setup.xml from the groove folder, and paste it in C:\Program Files – Common Files – Microsoft Shared – OFFICE14 – Office Setup Controller – Groove.en-us –
3 – Try to uninstall Office again
Second method without Grove Installed or without the Office Installation Source
Go to the Microsoft Support Page at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179/. Using the Microsoft Fix It function, you can solve your problem. The process helps you remove Office 2010 (also 2007) from your PC.
In certain situations the installation process of Office 2010 freezes before completion, you cannot rollback it or uninstall it as there is no entry for this installation in the Add/Remove list. Moreover it’s also impossible to install any other version of Office (such as Office 2007).
You can try to manually uninstall Office 2010 by the steps below as suggested by Microsoft:
1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
3. Highlight Microsoft Office 2010 entry in the list and then click Remove. Quit the Utility.
Note: If you have got any other old or redundant office entries such as Office 2007 or other Office stand alone products such as Visio in the list, please remove them together.
4. Close all applications.
5. Click Start, in the Search box, type “regedit” (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.
6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry subkeys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER – Software – Microsoft – Office
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE – Software – Microsoft – Office
7. Right-click on this registry subkey and click Delete to delete those keys.
8. Open Windows Explorer, and then browse to the “C:\Program Files” folder
If it exists, rename the “Microsoft Office” to “Microsoft Office OLD”
If it exists, rename “OfficeUpdate” to “OfficeUpdateOLD”
If it exists, rename “OfficeUpdate14″ to “OfficeUpdate14OLD”
9. Click Start, in the Search box, type “%Temp%” (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.
10. Empty the Temp folder.
Note: If some files can’t be deleted, please skip them, which don’t influence the result of the troubleshooting.
11. Empty the Recycle Bin.
12. Restart your computer. Try to install Office 2010 again.