CyanogenMod is one of the best custom Android ROMs that offers many welcome tweaks and customizations, and most often, it is very responsive and faster than the stock ROM. Official CyanogenMod 11 ROM for Moto X has arrived now and here is how to install it on your Moto X.
For your information, Moto X is Motorola’s high-end Android KitKat smartphone, which is packed with smart, usable features such as active notification, touchless control, driving assist, motion gesture, etc. for everyday users. It brings excellent performance when comparing with similarly priced rivals.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. Though we are putting our level best to provide this tutorial at its maximum perfection and accuracy, we can’t take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. This guide is intended for technically talented users only.
a) Moto X bootloader must be unlocked
b) Moto X must be rooted and custom recovery like CWM or TWRP installed.
c) Backup every important data as well as create a Nandroid backup from recovery, so you can restore them in case anything goes wrong.
Instruction to flash CM 11 ROM:
Please note that this is a nightly build of CM 11 ROM, which means it is experimental and unstable, so it may contain bugs. Install it at your own risk.
1. Download the CM 11 ROM zip file from here (it is official unified build for all unlockable variants of the Moto X).
2. Download Gapps zip file for CM 11 ROM from here.
3. Copy both CM 11 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file on the root of internal storage of Moto X.
4. Switch off the phone and boot it into Recovery mode by holding down Volume Down & Power buttons simultaneously.
5. From recovery, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
6. Now, go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
7. After flashing the rom, once again select “Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
8. Once the process is completed, perform full data wipe. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on the next screen to confirm the operation.
9. Once installation has finished, return to the main menu and select reboot system now. The device will now boot into CyanogenMod.
Please note that it will take little longer time (around 5 minutes) to boot up the device for the first time.
If your phone gets into the boot loop sequence (stuck in the welcome screen), follow the above installation instructions again or restore the stock ROM.
To restore the stock ROM, you can either use your Nandroid backup (from recovery select “backup/restore” option and select your Nandroid backup) or download the official firmware from here and flash it via adb.
You have now learnt on how to apply the latest version of CyanogenMod 11 (Kitkat 4.4.2) in Moto X. Leave your views below in the comment section.