Motorola officially supports bootloader unlock for the Moto G5S Plus, which means you can install TWRP custom recovery and get root privilege on the device. Unlocked bootloader, custom recovery and root access on Moto G5S Plus (code named sanders) are essential things for installing custom ROMs like LineageOS, customizing the device, backup stock firmware and perform various other things.
In this guide, we show you how to unlock bootloader, install TWRP recovery and root Moto G5S Plus (sanders). Installing TWRP and gain root using SuperSU or Magisk is not too complicated on a bootloader unlocked Moto G5S Plus. However, please note that these procedures will void device warranty and wipe out all data. Do NOT perform it, unless you have specific reasons.
Prerequisites for unlocking bootloader, installing TWRP recovery and get root access on Moto G5S Plus (also called sanders):
1. USB driver for your device installed on your PC (Download)
2. ADB and Fastboot driver installed on the PC (Read this guide)
3. TWRP recovery (unofficial) for Moto G5S Plus (sanders) (Download)
4. SuperSU (Download) or Magisk (download) and Magisk Manager (download) for root.
Disclaimer: This guide is for advanced users only. We will not take responsibility for anything that goes wrong.
Note: This process will void your device’s warranty and wipe your device completely. Back up all data you have on your phone before proceeding.
1. Save the downloaded TWRP recovery image inside the adb installation folder and rename it to
2. Connect your phone into PC, then go to adb directory, open a command window (shift + Right click and select Open command window here) and issue the below command:
adb reboot bootloader
3. Once your device boot into bootloader mode, issue the below command:
7. Once TWRP is successfully flashed, issue the below command to reboot your phone:
You have now successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Moto G5S Plus.
1. Save both Magisk zip file and Magisk Manager APK on your phone storage.
2. Boot your device into TWRP recovery.
3. Tap on ‘Install’, select the Magisk zip file that you have just saved on your device and swipe to Confirm Flash.
4. Once Magisk is flashed, select Reboot System to reboot your device.
5. Now, open a file manager app, go to the folder where saved the Magisk Manager apk file and install it.
6. Open the Magisk Manager app and check for your device’s root status.
Note: If you prefer Chainfire’s SuperSU for root, then follow below guide.
1. Save the downloaded SuperSU zip file into your phone’s internal memory.
2. Boot your phone in to TWRP recovery and in TWRP recovery, tap on Install and select the SuperSU zip file.
3. Slide the button on the bottom to start the flashing process.
5. After installation finished, tap on ‘Reboot System’ to reboot your device.
Your Moto G5S Plus is now rooted. If you come across any issue, leave it in the comment section below (source – XDA)