If you like to make your Android phone’s home screen something different, then you will love Android O’s Adaptive Icons feature. Here is how to get Android O’s Adaptive Icons feature on any Android versions (Android 5.0 Lollipop and up). Adaptive Icons means, an app icon can be different shape on different devices. For example, Facebook app icon can be square shape on one device and round shape on another device.
Google introduced Adaptive Icons feature with Android O (the upcoming major Android OS (Android 8.0) update). This feature allows app developers to create icons that will have different shapes for different devices. You can read more about Google’s Adaptive Icons at here.
Now, let us see how to get Android O’s Adaptive Icons feature on any Android phone runs Android Lollipop and above with Adapticons app. Developed by Damian Piwowarski, the Adapticons app allows you to create different shape icons for any app you have on the phone.
Note: Though Adapticons app supports all Android phones runs Android 5.0 and above, in Android O it works quite differently. The app offers 3 different ways to apply icons for Android O users.
Adapticons app is a free download on Play store and offers 3 shapes for free. Other shapes need a small in-app purchase.
1. Install the app from Play store [HERE] and run it.
2. The will display all installed app. To apply icon mask, you need to select an app individually.
3. Select a desired app, select a desired shape and save it.
4. The app shortcut icon with changed shape will be placed on your home screen.
5. You can also change the icon size, background color, icon color, etc. Simply scroll down to access those options.
Let us know does this app useful for making your home screen something different.