Screen Casting is a built-in feature of Android 5.0 Lollipop, and it lets you cast whatever is on your phone’s screen to your Chromecast dongle. You will find the Cast Screen option by swiping down the notification bar with two fingers. But what if you have not upgraded to the latest Lollipop version of the Android OS yet?
In this guide, we will show you how to cast screens without using Android Lollipop. If you have a rooted Android 4.4 Kitkat phone, you can quickly and easily setup a screencast using Mirror Beta, which is free app on the Play store. To get everything working, all you need a rooted phone, an internet connection, and a computer with Chrome browser installed.
There is nothing technical here. All you need to install some apps on your Android device and computer. All are free and easy to set up. Just follow the guide below to know how to cast screens without using Android Lollipop.
How to Cast Screens Without Using Android Lollipop
1. First, install the Mirror Beta app on your Android phone from Play Store [Download Here]. Once installed, open the app and you will be asked to automatically install it on your phone’s partition. Just tap OK to agree to let the app do this.
2. Once you did that, you will get another prompt asking you to grant root access. Just tap allow to agree. After that, the app will reboot itself. When it is done, go to the app drawer and open the Mirror Beta app again.
3. Now, on your computer, open Chrome browser and install the AllCast Receiver extension [Download from here]. This program lets your phone and computer talk to each other. Once installed, you will see it on your App Launcher. Just run it. It opens up in a separate window from your actual browser.
4. Now, on your Android phone, open Mirror Beta app again. You should see a new icon entry on the front page. This should be your computer. Just tap on it to start a new screencast. Your Android phone screen should now appear in AllCast Receiver.
5. Now, you will see “Screencast in progress” pop-up box with a stop option. Do not stop it. Just navigate away from the Mirror app and leave it ready for when you finally end the cast.
Note: If you cannot find your receiver (Windows), adjust your firewall settings to allow UDP/TCP ports 53515.