Motorola has started to roll out Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for Moto X Play in India. Users will receive the OTA update notification on their device in the coming days. If you did not get the Android 6.0 OTA update notification on your Moto X play (XT1562) for some reasons and excited to try it, you can manually update your device.
In this guide, we will show you how to update Indian Moto X Play (XT1562) to Android 6.0 Marshmallow manually. Thanks to XDA users Xdasnr for the official Moto X Play Marshmallow 6.0 OTA ZIP file, which you can apply manually either via system update or stock recovery. Read on to know how it is.
Android 6.0 Marshmallow brings various new features to your Moto X Play, like the all new Doze battery saving feature, Now on Tap, new permission system, adoptable storage, System UI tuner, Memory Manager, do not disturb (DND), Automatic app backup, performance improvements and bug fixes to the phone.
Note: The file mentioned below (Blur_Version.24.11.18.lux_retasia_ds.retasiaall.en .03.zip) is only for Indian Moto X Play XT1562. Do not try with other variants.
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
1. Download Marshmallow 6.0 OTA ZIP file (583MB) for Moto X Play XT1562 [HERE] and save it on root of your SD card (not on internal memory).
2. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates.
3. Update will be auto recognizes the OTA zip file and you will be asked to apply update.
4. Once update completes, reboot your phone and enjoy Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
In case, your Moto X Play did not recognize the update, you can try it via stock recovery. Follow the below guide.
1. Boot your phone into recovery mode. To do so, switch off your phone, press Power + Volume down keys few seconds.
2. Select ‘Recovery’ using Volume Down button and select it using Volume Up button.
3. When you see an Android robot image with red exclamation mark, hold down the Power button few second and press and release the Volume Up button .
4. Your phone will auto reboot to Recovery Mode.
5. Select ‘Apply update from SD Card’ option using Volume button and confirm it with Power button.
6. Select, the firmware zip file (you have saved on the SD card) using Volume button and confirm it with Power button.
Once the update process is completed, reboot your phone and enjoy Android 6.0 Marshmallow. (Source – XDA)