In this tutorial, we show you how to install TWRP custom recovery and get root access on your 2nd generation Moto E 2015 edition. Custom recovery and root access on your Moto E 2015 are essential for installing custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, customizing with Xposed Framework or installing certain apps. However, you will lose manufacturer’s warranty.
Though the original Moto E was cheap, it was criticized by its poor responsiveness and performance. However, things have now changed with the upgraded hardware. On the new Moto E 2015, everything from opening apps to loading webpages is a breeze. Also, the new phone is available in 3G and 4G/LTE variants and at the same time it is available at almost the same price of the original Moto E (2014).
Now, if you would like to get all the benefits of rooting and advantages of custom recovery on your Moto E 2015 edition, read on to the instruction given below to know how to install custom recovery and get root access on it.
Warning: Before installing custom recovery and rooting your Moto E 2015, please note that you need to unlock its bootloader, which means your device’s warranty will void, so proceed at your own risk.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. Though we are putting our level best to provide this tutorial at its maximum perfection and accuracy, we can’t take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. This guide is intended for technically talented users only
Important: As always backup your device completely including storage, SMS, contacts, calendar etc.
Also Read: How to restore stock firmware on Moto E 2015
1. Install Motorola driver on your computer [Download here]
2. Unlock Bootloader on Moto E 2015. Go to Motorola website [Instruction Here] and follow the instruction carefully to unlock the bootloader (The process will wipe your device completely and will not get future OTA update).
3. Now, enable USB debugging (Settings -> About phone -> tap 7 times on build number -> Developer options)
4. Download Minimal ADB and Fastboot (mfastboot-v2) tool [HEHRE]
1. Unzip the downloaded mfastboot-v2
2. Rename the twrp-188.8.131.52-condor.img file as
recovery.img and copy it to mfastboot-v2 folder.
3. Connect your phone to your computer and reboot to bootloader by pressing Volume Down + Power button for about 6-7 seconds.
4. Go to the mfastboot directory (in step 1), shift + right click in empty space in the folder and select Open a command window here.
5. Run following command
fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img
6. Once done, issue the command given below to boot the phone into recovery mode
fastboot reboot bootloader
1. Copy the UPDATE-SuperSU-vx.x.zip file to your phone (You have downloaded earlier).
2. Boot your Moto E to custom TWRP recovery (use Volume Down + Power buttons)
3. Now, tap the Install option, navigate to UPDATE-SuperSU-vx.x.zip file and install it (Swipe the confirmation slider to flash SuperSU package).
4. Now, go back to the TWRP main menu and select Reboot to restart your phone.
That’s it! Now, you have successfully installed TWRP custom recovery and root your Moto E 2015. Any query, leave it in the comment section below (Source – XDA.