ZenFone Max owners can now use VoLTE (voice call over LTE) on their phone. Asus has updated Zenfone Max (ZC550KL) to software version 184.108.40.206 that enables VoLTE on the device. Though ZenFone Max supports LTE, there was no VoLTE function on it until now, so users cannot use ‘phone call over LTE’ feature that some carriers offer, for example, Reliance Jio in India.
ZenFone Max users will receive the OTA (over the air) notification for the update (V220.127.116.11) on their device. Just update the device to get VoLTE. If you have not received the update notification on your ZenFone Max for some reason or facing network issue for downloading the firmware, then you can manually install the update by downloading the firmware on your computer.
In the below guide we will provide all the required information for updating your Zenfone Max (ZC550KL) to the latest version manually. Still based on Android Marshmallow, the new update includes VoLTE, update for several apps, fixes bugs and supports SOS call for India.
Important: The below guide is for Zenfone Max ZC550KL and SKU WW. Do not install the firmware on other SKU (CN, TW, etc.). Check it by going to Settings > About > software information > Build number and see the software version for WW, CN, JP, etc.
Note: Backup all data you have on the phone before proceeding, as the update process will delete data.
Manually Update ZenFone Max latest version
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
1. Download stock firmware zip file for ZenFone Max (version 18.104.22.168) from here and save the zip file on your phone’s internal storage.
2. Software update notification will pop up on your Zenfone screen. Just tap to update.
[If the above method does not helped, you may try the recovery method described below]
1. Copy and paste the downloaded firmware zip in to the SD card of the phone
2. Boot your phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding Power & Volume Up buttons after switching off the phone.
3. In recovery, select Apply update from sd card, select the firmware zip file.
4. Once the installation process finished, reboot your phone.