In this guide, we show you how to restore stock firmware on HTC 10 and unroot it. Custom recovery and root access on HTC 10 give users vast opportunities, like installing custom ROM, adding new features, removing useless system apps, etc. but sometimes users run into problems after rooting and flashing custom ROMs and want to return to HTC’s stock firmware on it.
Whatever the case will be, if you have rooted your HTC 10 and later would like to return to stock firmware, you can do that by following the below guide. However, note that restoring stock firmware on HTC 10 is not a simple process like installing APKs and applying OTA update. Extreme care should be needed; otherwise, you will end up with non-booting device.
Keep in mind that, though HTC 10 will be one of the first non-Nexus devices to get Android 7.0 Nougat update, there is no guarantee that the below guide will help you get the update.
How to Restore Stock Firmware on HTC 10 and Unroot it
Disclaimer: This guide should give you all the info you need to restore your HTC 10 to stock firmware, but we can’t take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. Do at your own risk.
Important: Back up all data you have on the phone before proceeding with the below steps. Download, Titanium Backup, for instance, from Play Store and back up all your data first.
1. Enable USB debugging by going to Settings > About Phone > Software > Tap Build Number 7 times to enable Developer Options. Then go back to Developer Options, and turn on USB debugging.
Now there are three ways to restore stock firmware on HTC 10. The first method is by using HTC’s ROM Update Utility (RUU exe), which is safe and easy. The second method is by using RUU zip file (stock ROM) and the third method is by using TWRP backup.
First Method (RUU exe method)
1. If you find CID for your HTC 10, you need to download RUU exe file on your PC.
2. Go here [HERE] and download stock RUU for your CID (under stock RUU exe section).
3. Connect your HTC 10 to your PC via a USB cable and double click the RUU exe file to run it.
4. Follow the instruction to flash stock ROM on your phone.
Second Method (RUU Zip Method)
If you could not stock RUU exe file for your HTC 10 model, then you can follow the RUU zip method.
1. Download RUU zip file [HERE] for your CID (under the RUU zip section) to your PC and rename it to ‘2PS6IMG.zip’.
2. Save the renamed zip file to your phone’s internal storage.
3. Disconnect your phone from your PC, turn off it, and press Power + Volume Up buttons to boot in to Download Mode.
4. Press Volume up button to start flashing and wait for it to finish.
Third Method (TWRP backup method)
The below method requires ADB and fastboot setup on your computer.
1. Go here [HERE], download TWRP backup for your CID to your PC and unzip it (use 7Zip).
2. Now, download Stock Recovery image [HERE] for your CID, rename it to stockrecovery.img and save it into the ADB installation folder.
3. Connect your phone to your PC, open the phone’s storage on the computer and go to ‘Backup’ folder. Copy and paste the unzipped TWRP backup to this folder.
4. Now, boot your phone into TWRP recovery mode (Turn off it, press Power + Volume Down buttons together)
5. In TWRP recover, select Backup/Restore option, choose backup file and swipe to confirm (this will wipe your phone, so backup whole data you have on the phone).
6. Once done, tap ‘Reboot System’ option. When it reboots, turn it off and boot it into fastboot by holding down Volume Down and Power.
7. Connect your phone to your PC, go to ADB installation folder, open a command window from there and issue the below command to flash stock recovery image.
fastboot flash recovery stockrecovery.img
fastboot oem lock
Once done, reboot your phone and enjoy stock firmware on your HTC 10. If you have question, leave it in the comment section below (Source – XDA)