Even if you’re using the 5G, 4G, 3G, or FTTH broadband, the internet speed could vary depending on the location you are in, devices you’re using, and the time of use. Congested network bands and frequencies, and hike in the usage could affect the internet speed. For streaming HD videos from sites like Netflix or to use Google’s cloud gaming platform Stadia, there is a minimum required internet speed.
Here’s how to check internet speed on Android without installing any app. There are several services and apps, for example, Ookla Speedtest, for checking the internet speed on computers and smartphones. But you can test your internet speed on Google search without installing any application on your device.
Google joined with Measurement Lab (M-Lab) provides internet speed test in Google search. You can use the service to check 5G, 4G, 3G, FTTH broadband, or Wi-Fi connection speed in less than 30 seconds.
How to Check Internet Speed on Your Phone Without any App?
- Open a browser in your smartphone or computer.
- Go to Google and type Internet speed test in the address bar.
- The search result will show the speed test tool.
- Click the Run Speed Test button.
- It will check both download and upload speed.
Keep in mind that checking internet speed with Measurement Lab (M-Lab) means you agree to share your IP address with them. M-Lab publicly publishes your IP address and test results to promote Internet research.
FYI, M-Lab is an open-source project with contributors from civil society organizations, educational institutions, and private sector companies, such as Code for Science & Society, New America’s Open Technology Institute, PlanetLab Consortium, Google and other partners around the world.
More on Internet and Wi-Fi
- How to select less congested band in Samsung Galaxy phone
- Disable open WiFi network notification annoyance on Android
- How to increase internet speed on Realme smartphone