Sony Xperia Z, ZL, ZR and Tablet Z have received official Android 4.4.4 KitKat update. Though there are not many interface changes, the new update brings several enhancements and bug fixes on these devices. The update will gradually launch to all these devices, but now you can manually update your Xperia Z, ZR, ZL and Tablet Z to Android 4.4.4 Kitkat.
The new Android 4.4.4 firmware from Sony includes latest enhancements and security updates, improved battery performance, improved camera experience, latest versions of all Sony native and media apps, performance enhancements in email, calendar, contacts, Wi-Fi and more.
The below guide shows you how to update your Xperia Z, ZR, ZL and Tablet Z to Android 4.4.4 KitKat. You can download the official Android 4.4.4 KitKat FTF firmware and install it on your phone using the Flashtool.
Procedure to update Xperia Z, ZL, ZR and Z Tablet to 4.4.4 KitKat:
Important: It is recommended to backup all your data before proceeding to update your device.
1. Download Flashtool on your computer and install it (download from here).
2. Download FTF file (firmware) for Xperia Z, ZL, ZR and Z Tablet. (Download links at the end of this article)
3. Copy the FTF file to the folder “Firmware” inside the Flashtool folder (Flashtool will create a folder named Flashtool in your C drive)
4. Now, run Flashtool and select the FTF file and press OK.
5. Turn off your phone and when Flashtool prompted to connect your device, connect your phone to the PC by pressing volume down button on the phone.
6. Wait for until the update installs and then reboot your phone.
Now your Xperia Z, ZL, ZR or Z Tablet will have the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat.