Samsung has updated its budget Galaxy On5 to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. Currently rolling out in India, the new update will bring simplified TouchWiz UI with improved usability, improved battery life, latest security patches, new features and performance boost to Galaxy On5. Earlier last month, Samsung has updated the Galaxy On7 to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA (over-the-air) update will reach on all Galaxy On5 in the coming days, if it is on stock firmware. The update comes with the build version G550FYXXU1BPFA for the SM-G550FY variant. If you have not received the OTA notification for Android 6.0.1 update on your device, check it by going to Settings > About phone > System updates > Check for update
If you cannot update your Galaxy On5 via OTA update due to network issues and other unknown reasons, you can download and install the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update manually on Galaxy On5 via Odin.
Manually Update Galaxy On5 Marshmallow with G550FYXXU1BPFA Firmware
Warning: The below mentioned file is for Galaxy On5 SM-G550FY sold in India. Do not try it on other variant sold in other regions, as each region firmware may include specific PIT files.
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
a) Samsung drivers installed on the computer
b) At least 70% battery remaining
c) Backup every data you have on your phone before proceeding.
d) Enable USB debugging on Galaxy On5 (Go to Settings -> About -> tap 7 times on Build number to unlock Developer options. Now, again go to Settings -> Developer options -> enable USB Debugging)
2. Unzip the downloaded firmware file on your PC.
3. Download latest version of Odin [HERE] and unzip the zip file.
4. Boot your phone into Download Mode. To do so, turn off the phone and press and hold Home + Power + Vol Down buttons for few seconds.
5. Run the Odin.exe file by right clicking and selecting ‘Run as administrator’.
6. Now, connect your phone to your PC via a USB cable. Wait until you get a blue sign in Odin (If not, reinstall Samsung USB Drivers)
7. Select AP in Odin and choose the firmware file (with .tar extension) you have unzipped.
8. In Odin, make sure Re-partition is NOT ticked (tick only the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time check boxes, see below screenshot for example)
9. If everything OK, click the Start button, sit back and wait few minutes. Once the Pass message appeared in Odin, reboot your phone.
Note: In case you get a Fail message, repeat all the procedure carefully and ensure that you have downloaded correct firmware. Enjoy Android Marshmallow and its new features on your Galaxy On5.
Any question, leave it in the comment section below.