Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 users can now update their device to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop manually with official firmware (build number 23.1.A.0.690). Because it takes some time to reach the OTA update notification on Xperia Z2, users who cannot wait for the OTA can flash the firmware (ftf file) right now manually by using the Flashtool.
An XDA contributor “pajoneer” has captured the official FTF file (firmware) for the Sony Xperia Z2, which is based on the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, and the build number is 23.1.A.0.690. You can install the firmware (ftf file) using the Flashtool – a firmware-flashing tool for Sony Xperia devices.
The new Lollipop update will bring a revamped interface to your Xperia Z2 that meets the Lollipop’s Material Design language. Moreover, the new ART runtime improves the performance of the phone and the battery life has improved much. The new update has also included new lockscreen notifications, multi user mode and guest mode.
Few days back, Sony begins to rollout the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update for the entire Xperia Z devices, such as Xperia Z3, Z3 Compact, Z2, etc. However, not all devices will receive the OTA immediately. You can check the update by going to Settings -> About Phone. If the notification does not appear on your Z2, you can manually install the firmware from your computer using ftf file.
For installing the update on your Sony Xperia Z2 D6503, your device must be running on the Android 4.4 KitKat. It requires NO root and unlocked bootloader. Read on to know how to flash the firmware using flashtool.
Warning: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. The below guide is recommended for technically talented users only.
1. Download Lollipop firmware (D6503_23.1.A.0.690_Generic_Baltic.ftf) for Xperia Z2 [HERE]
3. Enable USB Debugging option on your Xperia Z2 (Settings -> Developer Options -> USB debugging)
4. Install flashtool on your Windows PC. It will create a folder named Flashtool in your C drive.
5. Copy the FTF file to the folder “Firmware” inside the Flashtool folder
6. Now, run the Flashtool, select the FTF file and press OK.
7. Turn off your phone and when Flashtool prompted to connect your device, connect your phone to the PC by pressing Volume Down button on the phone. This will connect the phone in flashmode.
8. Wait for until the update installs and then reboot your phone.
You have now successfully flashed Android 5.0.2 Lollipop (23.1.A.0.690) firmware on your Xperia Z2. Enjoy! (Source – XDA)