As promised, the former CyanogenMod team has released the new LineageOS custom ROM builds to a number of devices including the Nexus 4 (mako). The first nightly build of LineageOS 14.1 (based on Android 7.1.1 Nougat) brings features like bundled notification, improved battery optimization, multi-window mode and several other features to enhance user experience.
In this guide, we show you how to install official LineageOS 14.1 on Google Nexus 4 (mako). In addition, if your Nexus 4 is running on CM14.1, we let you know how to migrate to LineageOS 14.1 from CyanogenMod 14.1 without losing data. Interested Nexus 4 users checkout the detailed installation guide given below.
Before installing LineageOS, keep in mind that root file will not be integrated into the ROM like CyanogenMod. Users need to download and flash root file separately. Also, it is advised that users need to wipe the current ROM before installing LineageOS.
Note: Installing LineageOS 14.1 (mako) on Nexus 4 is a simple process, if your device is rooted and have latest version of TWRP recovery (version 3…) installed on it. Before start, backup every data you have on the phone on a safe location. Also, make sure your phone is fully charged.
How to Install LineageOS 14.1 on Nexus 4 Using TWRP
Disclaimer: Follow the guide at your own risk. We will not be responsible for any damage that occurs. The guide is intended for technically talented users only.
2. Boot your phone into TWRP recovery mode. To do so, switch off phone, hold Volume (-) and Power buttons until the bootloader appears, then release the buttons.
3. In TWRP recovery, select ‘Wipe’, perform a factory reset and wipe system. Do not use the ‘format data’ option, as it will format the internal storage and the ROM you just saved.
4. Now, in recovery tap ‘Install’, navigate and select the ROM zip file. Confirm the action by swiping the arrow to the left.
5. Once installation has finished, install Gapps zip file. Now, return to the main menu and reboot your phone.
Once booted up, setup your device and enjoy LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.1) Nougat.
How to Migrate CM14.1 running Nexus 4 to LineageOS 14.1 without wiping data
1. Download the experimental LineageOS build for your Nexus 4 from here and transfer the zip file to its internal storage.
2. Reboot your device into TWRP recovery
3. In TWRP recovery, select ‘Install’ and select the LineageOS experimental ZIP file. Once installed, reboot your handset.
4. After your device booted up, make sure all your data has migrated successfully.
5. Now, download the LineageOS weekly build for Nexus 4 from here and transfer it to the internal storage of your device.
6. Reboot your device again into TWRP recovery and install the weekly LineageOS build.
7. Once done, install Gapps as well and reboot your handset.