Active Notifications is a unique feature of Motorola’s Moto X Smartphone that allows you to receive important notifications when your screen is off. When a notification arrives, Moto X’s display will discreetly light up and let you know what it is without needing to unlock the device. You can bring this feature to your phone as well, if it is running on Android 4.1 and above.
ActiveNotifications is an app that brings Moto X’s Active Notifications feature to other phones running Android 4.1 and later. With it you can you can immediately decide if an incoming notification is something important for you without unlocking the device.
However, keep in mind that you will get full advantage of this app only if your device has an AMOELD screen as in Moto X. Because each pixel on an AMOELD screen is able to control, only required individual pixels are illuminate when a notification arrives, which will reduce battery drain considerably. If you have different display, using this app may drain your battery at a larger rate than intended.
– Notifications don’t light up when your phone is in your pocket, purse, or face down to avoid accidental unlocks
– Select which app-notifications you’d like to receive via ActiveNotifications
– “Sleep at night”: Don’t show notifications at night (Premium feature)
– “More privacy”: Hide additional notification details (e.g. SMS text, sender) (Premium feature)
– “Adjust screen brightness”: Select how bright the ActiveNotifications screen should be (Premium feature)
– Automatically switch off screen when dismissing notifications (Premium feature)
Note that, this is an experimental app; however, it should work on phone with Android 4.1.1 and above. The developer confirmed that it work on the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, 7, 10, and the Google Play edition of the S4 (all running stock Android 4.3 or CM10.2) so far.