In this tutorial, we show you how to theme Nexus 5 X using Android 6.0 Marshmallow built-in theme engine, called RRO (Runtime Resource Overlay). You can theme your Nexus 5X with Layers themes, and a great number of themes are already available on Play Store. However, to theme Nexus 5X requires root access on it.
For your information, RRO (Runtime Resource Overlay) framework (developed by Sony for their Xperia devices) is a built-in feature of Android 6.0 Marshmallow that allows manufacturers to theme Android to their liking, which means end users have no use with RRO. However, that does not stop developers to put their hand on it.
a) Root access on your Nexus 5X
b) BusyBox installed on the phone. Download [HERE] from Play store
c) A root file explorer, such as ES File Explorer. Download [HERE] from Play store
d) Layers theme that supports Android 6.0 Marshmallow, for example, download this theme [HERE].
1. Install BusyBox, open the app and tap ‘Install’ button.
2. Now, open ES File Explorer, enable root explorer option, then go to
‘system/vendor’, inside it create a folder named
‘overlay’ and set its permissions to 775 (long tap on ‘overlay’ folder to set the permission).
3. Install a Layers theme from the Play Store (theme should support Marshmallow)
4. Now, using the ES File Explorer go to
‘data/app’ and locate the theme you just installed.
5. Inside the folder, locate the apk file ‘base.apk’. Copy the apk to your phone storage.
6. Now, long tap the apk and from the settings (3 dots) tap ‘Open’. It will open the apk in ES Zip viewer.
7. Navigate to assets -> Files and extract the zip files.
8. From the extracted zip, extract the apks and copy the desired ‘overlays’ to the overlay folder we created earlier.
9. Finally reboot your phone. That is it.
If you come across any issue, you will get more information, discussion and other details from the source (Source – XDA)