Xiaomi Mi A1 is an Android One smartphone that brings stock Android 7.1.2 Nougat experience and features. Also, Xiaomi Mi A1 and Xiaomi Mi 5X are similar in hardware specs, but the latter runs on Xiaomi’s customized MIUI 9 ROM. If you want to experience Mi A1’s stock Android OS on your Mi 5X, a ported version (N2G47H 7.8.23) of the ROM is now available for download.
In this guide we show you how to download and install Mi A1 ported on ROM (N2G47H 7.8.23) on Mi 5X. The ROM brings stock Android UI and Android 7.1.2 Nougat features to Xiaomi Mi 5X. The developer claims that the ROM is fully working, which means you can use it as daily driver. Experienced users check out the guide for installation instruction.
Note that Xiaomi Mi A1 stock firmware is now available for download, but it should be installed on Xiaomi Mi 5X, though both devices have same specs. Mi A1 uses a different partition system (A/B partition for seamless update), so it cannot be directly installed on Mi 5X.
If you would like to get Mi A1 experience on Mi 5X, then download the ported ROM (link below) and install it via TWRP recovery.
As you may know, for installing custom ROM, your device bootloader must be unlocked and require latest version of TWRP recovery on the phone.
How to Install Mi A1 Ported ROM on Mi 5X
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
1. Download Mi A1 ported ROM zip file from source [HERE] and save it on your Mi 5X.
2. Boot your device into TWRP recovery, select backup and make a Nandroid backup.
3. In TWRP recovery, does a full system wipe. Tap Wipe > Advanced Wipe and Wipe data / Factory reset, Wipe cache, Wipe dalvik cache.
4. Now, return to main TWRP menu, select Install, navigate to ROM zip file and swipe to flash.
5. Once the flashing process is completed, return to TWRP main menu, once again select Wipe and wipe cache and dalvik cache, and then reboot your phone.
The first boot will more time. Once booted up, set up your device, and enjoy! (Source – MIUI)