Samsung’s mid-range Android smartphone, Galaxy Grand Duos (GT-I9082/I9082L) might not see an official Android 5.0 Lollipop update, but you can now download and install the CyanogenMod CM12 Android 5.0 Lollipop custom ROM unofficially from XDA developers on your Galaxy Grand Duos (GT-I9082) and enjoy the latest Lollipop OS version.
Though, the CyanogenMod 12 will give you taste about Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Galaxy Grand Duos (GT-I9082/ I9082L), please note that this is not a fully functional ROM, which means it is not ready to be used as a daily driver yet. A number of things do not work, so use them at your own risk.
What does works (as of November 27):
What does not work (As of November 27)
Wi-Fi HAL (i.e. Scanning MAC Address Randomization)
Sim Tool Kit (STK) not fully working
Video in YouTube app sometimes freeze
Camera app sometimes crash on close
Unable to un-pin screen without rebooting
2G/3G toggle does not work properly in non-English language
Swipe typing and face unlock
SIM with PIN may not work properly
Disclaimer: Flash the ROM at your own risk. We can’t take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. This guide is intended for technically talented users only.
Important: Back up any important data before installing the ROM
Note: Before installing this ROM, download [HERE] and install the CWM recovery with SELinux support. Older CWM recovery will result in a “status 7” error.
Does not work on 4.1 stock ROM’s bootloader, please upgrade to 4.2 before flashing.
2. Now, boot your Grand Duos into custom recovery mode. To do so, switch Off your device and press Volume (+), Menu, Power buttons together.
3. From recovery, do a full wipe (cache partition, data wipe/factory reset, dalvic cache)
4. Now, choose install ZIP from SD card and select the “cm-12-20141116-UNOFFICIAL-i9082.zip” (use Vol buttons for navigation) and flash it.
5. If you want, flash Google Apps [Download here] and Superuser too.
6. Once again, do a full wipe (Data wipe/ Factory reset, cache partition and dalvic cache)
7. Now, go to the main menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
That is it. Your Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos will boot into Android 5.0 Lollipop OS version.
Important Note: Keep in mind that, currently above mentioned ROM is experimental and contain several bugs. It may brick your device, so use at your own risk! (Source – XDA)