Xiaomi Redmi 3/Pro owners can now enjoy Android 8.0 Oreo and stock Android UI via unofficial LineageOS 15 custom ROM. First beta build of LineageOS 15 for Redmi 3/Pro (ido) is now available for download. All aspects of the ROM are working fine, except HDR. If you are excited to try the newest Android 8.0 Oreo on Redmi 3/Pro, then check out the installation instruction and pre-requisites for installing the ROM.
Redmi 3/Pro was launched in January 2016, so probably the device will not get official Android Oreo update from Xiaomi anytime soon. However, if you prefer stock UI over Xiaomi’s heavily customized MIUI, deep customization and LineageOS features, then the LineageOS 15 is the best choice.
The present status of LineageOS 15.0 for ido (Redmi 3) is beta, which means the ROM may include several bugs that are not yet identified. It is also buggy and unstable. Do not flash it now on your Redmi 3, if it is your main phone.
What’s not working: HDR.
Prerequisites for installing LOS 15 on Redmi 3
– Bootloader unlocked and latest version of TWRP recovery installed
– Backup every important data you have on the phone
– Above 80% battery charge remaining on the phone
How to Install LOS (unofficial) on Redmi 3 (ido)
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
2. Boot your device into TWRP recovery (Switch off the phone, press and hold Power + Volume Up buttons together).
3. In TWRP recovery, choose ‘Backup’ option and backup complete system (recommended).
4. Now, select ‘Wipe’ and then Factory Reset.
5. Now, select ‘Install’, navigate to LOS 15 zip package. After the installation finished, install Gapps zip file.
6. Now, return to the main menu and select Reboot, then System.
The device will now boot into LineageOS 15. Setup your new OS and enjoy. Any question? Leave it in the comment section below (Source – XDA)