Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update for Samsung Galaxy S4 might not see an official release very soon. However, if you cannot wait for the official update, an almost bug free CyanogenMod 12 ROM (unofficial) running on the latest Android 5.0.2 is now available for the Galaxy S4 i9505 Snapdragon variant. Rooted Galaxy S4 users can now enjoy Lollipop on their device by installing this ROM.
In this tutorial, we will show you how to upgrade your Galaxy S4 i9505 to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via CyanogenMod 12 custom ROM. This Lollipop ROM is almost bug free, except certain issues directly related to CyanogenMod 12. This is because CyanogenMod 12 (based on Android 5) is still a work in progress custom ROM.
Before you start installing this custom ROM on your Galaxy S4, please note that this ROM works only on the Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 Snapdragon variant. Do not try it on other Galaxy S4 variants such as Exynos GT-I9500. To check your phone variant, go to Settings -> About Device and check the model number.
How to Install CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on Galaxy S4
WARNING: This procedure will void your device’s warranty. Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
Important Note: As always, backup any important file stored on your device before flashing the ROM. Also, do not forget to make Nandroid backup from custom recovery.
a) Galaxy S4 must be rooted
b) Latest version of custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) installed
1. Transfer the downloaded CM 12 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file to your phone’s SD card.
2. Switch off Galaxy S4 and boot it into custom recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
3. From recovery, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
4. Now, go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 12 ROM zip file. Repeat the same for Gapps zip file.
5. Once completed, again clear cache, dalvik cache and Wipe Data/Factory Reset. This is necessary to fix bootloop issue.
After the process is complete, reboot the phone. Enjoy Lollipop on Galaxy S4. Keep in mind that, CyanogenMod 12 (CM12) is still in works, so you will find many CM features missing in this unofficial build. Leave your views in the comment section below. (Source – XDA)