OnePlus 3 has received the very first official CyanogenMod 14.1 (Android 7.1 Nougat) ROM in the form of experimental build and became the first device to get the official CyanogenMod 14.1 support. The CyanogenMod team just released the experimental CM14.1 build (by dropping CM14 to CM14.1) for OnePlus 3 that updates the handset to Android 7.1 Nougat.
Interested users can tryout the new features of CyanogenMod 14.1 on their OnePlus 3 right now by installing the ROM via custom recovery. Note that the CyanogenMod 14.1 is an experimental build, which means the ROM is unstable, contain several bugs, missing many features and cannot be used as a daily driver. Also note that Google not yet released the stable version of Android 7.1 for supported devices.
If you are excited to try the new features of official CyanogenMod 14.1 experimental build on your OnePlus 3, then checkout the installation guide given below. Before proceeding with the below steps, Do NOT forget to back up your phone data.
The below guide is assuming that you have a bootloader unlocked, rooted OnePlus 3 with latest version of TWRP recovery installed.
Install CyanogenMod 14.1 on OnePlus 3 from TWRP Recovery
Disclaimer: This procedure will void your device’s warranty. Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
2. Boot your OnePlus 3 into TWRP recovery mode with the device powered down, hold the Volume Down and Power buttons.
3. In TWRP recovery, select the ‘Backup’ button to create a system backup (recommended).
4. Now, select Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Clear data, Clear cache, Clear system
5. Now, choose ‘Install’, locate the CM14.1 ROM zip file and swipe right to begin installing the ROM. Once done, flash the GApps zip file.
6. Now, select Wipe and wipe cache and dalvik cache to fix any bootloop issue.
7. Once installation has finished, return to the main menu and select Reboot, then System. The device will now boot into CyanogenMod 14.1.