CyanogenMod is perhaps the best custom ROM and it is available for a variety of phones including Moto E. Recently, an unofficial build of CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM was made available for Moto E 2015 3G variant. It is a good ROM and everything is working fine, but some users come across Google Play Service connection error on their Moto E after installing the ROM, which means they cannot access essential services like Play store and Google Now on their device.
In this tutorial, we show you how to fix Google Play service connection error on Moto E 2015 running on CyanogenMod 12.1 custom ROM. An XDA contributor Manish_Sky has found a solution to fix the error permanently on Moto E 2015 3G variant. This is a ROM error and all you need to edit a system file to fix it, but with caution.
If you are experiencing Google Play service error on your Moto E 2015 3G variant after installing CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM and cannot access the services like Play store and Google Now on your device, read on to know how to fix it.
Fix Google Play Service Connection Error on Moto E 2015
1. Download Gapps 12 instead of Gapps 12.1 [HERE] and transfer it to your phone’s internal memory.
2. Boot your Moto E into custom recovery mode (TWRP/CWM)
3. From recovery, create a full backup of your device (Nandroid backup), just in case.
4. From recovery, flash Gapps zip file. Once done, reboot your device.
5. If root access is not enabled, enable it within the ROM or flash the SuperSU-v2.46.zip file [Download here]
6. Now, open built-in File Manager app (with root permission) and navigate to System -> etc -> host
7. Copy host file and move it to external/internal storage as a backup. Then delete the host file from system.
8. Finally, reboot your Moto E and try reconnecting to Google Now and the Play Store.
Note: Since you flashed CM12 Gapps, do not forget to update all the app from play store (source – Manish_Sky)