The official Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for first generation Moto E will not be issued by Motorola, however users who love CyanogenMod custom ROM can enjoy Marshmallow and its features on Moto E by installing CM13 ROM. Cyanogen Inc. has released the first nightly build of CyanogenMod 13 Android 6.0 marshmallow based custom ROM for 1st Gen Moto E.
If you would like to taste the new Android 6.0 Marshmallow on your Moto E (1st Gen), follow the installation instruction given below. Besides the Marshmallow features, the CyanogenMod 13 ROM combines a near stock look and feel with a huge number of useful additions to enhance your Android experience.
CyanogenMod 13 for Moto E (Condor) is a Nightly release, which means it is not yet ready to be used as a daily driver. In fact, it is experimental and a number of things do not work now.
Disclaimer: Do Not forget to back up your phone data. Also, follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. Recommended for technically talented users only.
2. Boot your Moto E into custom recovery (Switch off, press Power button + Volume down key together).
3. From recovery, wipe System, Data, Cache and Dalvik Cache.
4. Now, from main custom recovery menu, select “Install”, then choose the ROM zip file and flash it.
5. Once again, wipe Cache (to fix boot loop issue), then reboot the phone and let it settle.
6. Once again boot into custom recovery and flash Gapps, and then reboot your phone. Enjoy!
Note that it will take little long time for the first time to boot. Any doubt? Leave it in the comment section below.