After a long wait, finally the international Galaxy S5 G900F has received Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update. Galaxy S5 owners, who like to try the new firmware without waiting for the OTA (over the air) update or have any difficulty updating the device via Samsung Kies, read on to know how to update manually.
In this guide, we show you how to manually update Galaxy S5 SM-G900F to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow via Odin. Note that the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for Galaxy S5 is currently rolling out in Sri Lanka only. Galaxy S5 G900F Marshmallow updates for other countries are imminent.
Once you updated your Galaxy S5 G900F to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, your phone become more fast and responsive. You will get new features like Samsung’s new browser with ad blocking function, Gear VR support, Doze power saving, new app permission feature, Google Now on Tap, visual changes, and more.
Warning: Before get start, please note that the firmware mentioned below is for Galaxy S5 SM-G900F sold in Sri Lanka only. Do not try it on S5 G900F variant sold in other regions, as each region firmware may include specific PIT files. To install the firmware internationally, you may have to make some changes, which this guide does not cover.
Manually Update Galaxy S5 G900F to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
a) Samsung drivers installed on the computer
b) At least 70% battery remaining
c) Backup every data you have on your phone before proceeding.
d) Enable USB debugging on Galaxy S5 (Go to Settings -> About -> tap 7 times on Build number to unlock Developer options. Now, again go to Settings -> Developer options -> enable USB Debugging)
1. Download [HERE] official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow for Galaxy S5 G900F for your region and carrier.
2. Unzip the downloaded firmware file on your PC.
3. Download latest version of Odin (v3.10.7) [HERE] and unzip the zip file.
4. Boot your Galaxy S5 into Download Mode. To do so, turn off the phone and press and hold Home + Power + Vol Down buttons for few seconds.
5. Run the Odin3_v3.10.7.exe file by right clicking and selecting ‘Run as administrator’.
6. Now, connect your phone to your PC via a USB cable. Wait until you get a blue sign in Odin (If not, reinstall Samsung USB Drivers)
7. Select AP in Odin and choose the firmware file (with .tar extension) you have unzipped.
8. In Odin, make sure Re-partition is NOT ticked (tick only the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time check boxes, see below screenshot for example)
9. If everything OK, click the Start button, sit back and wait few minutes. Once the Pass message appeared in Odin, reboot your phone.
Note: In case you get a Fail message, repeat all the procedure carefully and ensure that you have downloaded correct firmware.
Enjoy Android Marshmallow and its new features on your Galaxy S5. Any doubt, leave it in the comment section below.