Motorola recently rolled out Android 7.1.1 Nougat update for Moto X Play. However, users who are waiting for the newest Android 8.0 Oreo update, there is a good news for them. A working build of LineageOS 15 (based on Android 8.0 Oreo) custom ROM is now available for Moto X Play, which you can download and flash via TWRP custom recovery. Interested users check out the below installation guide.
There is no chance to get official Android 8.0 Oreo update for Moto X Play, but custom ROMs like Lineage OS, Paranoid Android, etc. will bring it to the device. Though official LineageOS 15 is not yet released, unofficial version of LineageOS 15 (based on the LineageOS source code) is now available for the device.
Before start installing the ROM, we remind you that LineageOS 15 for Moto X Play is an initial build and unofficial, so not all features are working as expected. Camera, VoLTE, Flashlight, etc are currently not working and also it cannot be used as a daily driver.
Android 8.0 Oreo offers better performance and new additions. Besides data and battery life enhancements, Android 8.0 Oreo also brings new features like Picture in Picture (PIP), Adaptive icons, Auto fill, notification timeout, new emojis and more.
If your Moto X Play is bootloader unlocked and installed latest version TWRP recovery (guide here), then you can flash the custom ROM without any issue. However note that in order to get Google apps, you should also flash Gapps file after installing the ROM.
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. This is recommended for technically talented users only.
2. Reboot the device into TWRP recovery (Press Volume Down & Power buttons simultaneously)
3. In TWRP, select ‘Backup’ and create Nandroid back up (recomended)
4. Now, select Wipe > Advanced Wipe. Select Cache, System and Data partitions to be wiped and then Swipe to Wipe.
5. Go back to main TWRP menu, select Install, navigate and select the LineageOS .zip package. Swipe to flash the ROM. Once done, install Gapps zip file also.
6. Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, select Reboot, and then System.
Any question regarding this guide? Leave it in the comment section below (source – XDA)