Recently, Asus rolled out Android 8.0 Oreo update for ZenFone 4 ZE554KL variant. If you have upgraded your ZenFone 4 ZE554KL to the official Oreo firmware, you might lose your phone’s root status. However, if you wish to root the device with Magisk again for more control over it, then you can now root the device without much hassle. Read on to know how it is.
In the below guide, we show you how to root your Asus ZenFone 4 ZE554KL runs Android 8.0 Oreo with Magisk. All you need patched Oreo boot image file, latest version of TWRP recovery and latest version of Magisk zip file. However, your device’s bootloader should be unlocked.
Before get start, note that rooting your ZenFone 4 is a great idea for unlocking tweaks that can help improve how it functions, but it is dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing.
– ADB and Fastboot driver setup on your PC
– Unlocked bootloader on ZenFone 4 (read this guide)
– Your device should be on Android 8.0 Oreo
Warning: Rooting your phone should do with extreme care; otherwise you will end-up with a bricked device. Backup whole data you have on your phone before proceeding with the below steps.
How to Root ZenFone 4 ZE554KL on Oreo
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
1. First, save the downloaded ‘modified boot image’ file and ‘TWRP zip’ file inside the ADB installation folder. Transfer Magisk.zip file to your phone’s storage.
2. Connect your phone to your PC and open a command window inside the ADB folder.
3. Type the command ‘
adb reboot bootloader’ and hit Enter.
4. Once your phone entered into bootloader mode, type the command ‘
fastboot flash boot 15.0405.1711.76_modified_boot.img’ and hit Enter.
5. Once done, type the command
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-Z01K-20171229.img
6. Once your phone boot into TWRP, select install and flash the Magis.zip file.
7. Reboot your phone and now, you will have root access. [Source]