Samsung starts rolling out new software update to Galaxy A3 2016 and A3 2017 editions with December 2017 security patches. Samsung Galaxy SM-A310F and SM-A320FL variants start getting the OTA (over-the-air) update in some region, which includes general bug fixes and system stability features, alongside latest Android security patches (patch level 01.12.2017).
Though the update does not include any new major features, all users are recommended to update their phone to this new software version to get best from it. Also, as it patches several critical vulnerabilities, it will ensure better security. The OTA update weighs around 195MB and it will take few days to get on all devices.
If you did not see the new software update on your Galaxy A3 2016/2017 for some reason or if you prefer manual installation, then check out the below guide. Before going for manual installation, check for OTA update manually by heading to Settings > About Phone > Software Update.
Update Galaxy A 3 (2016) & A3 (2017) with December 2017 Security Patch
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
2. Unzip the downloaded firmware file and Odin zip file on your Windows PC.
3. Enable “USB Debugging” and “OEM Unlock” on your phone and boot your phone into ‘Download Mode’ (Press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons together).
4. Run Odin.exe file on your PC. Connect your phone to your PC. You will get a blue sign in Odin COM Port. (If not, install proper driver on your PC and start).
5. In Odin, make sure Re-partition is NOT ticked (tick only the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time check boxes, see below screenshot for example).
6. Select AP in Odin and choose the firmware file (with .tar extension) you have unzipped.
7. If everything OK, click the Start button. Once the ‘Pass’ message is appeared in Odin, reboot your phone. (Source)