Motorola has started to roll out the Android 6.0 Marshmallow upgrade for Moto X Style and 2nd Gen Moto X (2014). Currently, the update is available in India and Brazil only (other regions are imminent). As the firmware is rolled out in phases, it will take few days to reach the OTA (over-the-air) update notification on your device. Motorola has also confirmed that the Moto X Pure edition will also get the Android 6.0 Marshmallow upgrade in the coming weeks.
Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for Moto X Style/Pure and Moto X 2014 (2nd Gen) will improve your mobile experience with battery-smart features, new app permissions system and various other new features. Users can also enjoy Moto’s own features like Moto Display, Attentive Display, Moto Assist, etc.
Below are the new features and improvements that Android 6.0 Marshmallow update brings to Moto X Style/Pure and Moto X 2014.
1. A new Memory Manager that lets you check memory usage of all your installed apps
2. Volume controls have been greatly improved
3. Do not disturb button has been added to the quick settings panel for easy access.
4. System UI Tuner will appear in the settings menu at the very bottom once enabled. It provides a few simple UI tweaks.
5. Google Now on Tap allows contextual information to be delivered based on content on your screen with a long press of the home key.
6. Doze is a battery management feature that detects when your device is not in use and it will automatically go into a deep sleep state, which saves your battery.
7. App Standby reduces battery drain by putting seldom-used apps into a reduced activity state.
8. Expandable Storage support allows for microSD cards to be used either in a portable storage or an internal storage mode. Portable storage allows your pictures, videos, audio and other media files to be stored. Internal storage allows both media storage along with apps and games but can not be used by other devices.
9. RAM manager in settings which allows a consumer to view memory used by the system or an individual app over different time frames
10. Automatic App backup not only backs up your apps but their associated data so when restored they will be the same as they were before
11. Text selection has been improved
For a successful installation, you need to connect your phone to a Wi-Fi network and require at least 80% battery charging on it.
1. Once you received the OTA notification on the phone, select ‘Yes, I’m in’. It will download the OS.
2. Once the download completed, select ‘Install now’. After completing the installation, your Moto X will re-start automatically.
If you have not received the update notification message on the phone, follow the steps below to update your Moto X manually.
1. Go to phone Settings -> About phone -> System updates.
2. Select ‘Yes, I’m in’. After the OS is downloaded, select ‘Install now’.