Good news for custom ROM fans. OmniROM has started to release Android 8.1 Oreo based weekly builds for a number of devices. OmniROM 8.1.0 weekly build is now available for OnePlus 3/3T, OnePlus 5/5T, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. The team has also promised that more devices will be added to the list soon. OmniROM is lightweight and said that it is a more secure custom ROM available.
If you are new to Android custom ROM, like LineageOS, OmniROM is one of the few developers who build custom ROM for a wide range of devices. It provides latest Android versions to many devices even if OEMs stopped providing the OS updates, and sometimes even before the manufacturer has officially made available the OS version.
Here we will walk you through how to install Android 8.1 Oreo based official OmniROM 8.1.0 on your Android phone. Before start, note that the status of the ROM is weekly/nightly, so you may experience some unknown bugs.
Note that, before installing OmniROM, backup every data on your phone. Also, create a Nandroid backup in custom recovery.
How to Install OmniROM 8.1.0 (Oreo 8.1)
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. We cannot take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. This guide is intended for technically talented users only.
1. Download OmniROM (omni-8.1.0) zip file for your phone from here.
3. Transfer both zip files to your phone’s internal memory.
4. Now, boot your phone into TWRP custom recovery and wipe data, cache and factory reset.
5. Go back to the main recovery menu, select Install, navigate to the OmniROM zip file, and flash it. Wait until the flashing process finishes.
6. Once the ROM is flashed, flash the Gapps package in a similar way like you flashed the ROM file. Finally reboot your phone.
Your phone will now reboot with OmniROM (Android 8.1 Oreo). Leave your views in the comment section below. (Source)