Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 owners can now upgrade their device to Android 7.1.2 Nougat via official LineageOS 14.1 custom ROM. Lineage OS recently merged with Android 7.1.2 along with April security patches. The new update fixes many bugs and improves performance. Custom ROM fans can now enjoy Android 7.1.2 Nougat on their Redmi Note 3 (Snapdragon Variant) with LineageOS 14.1 along with various new features.
Xiaomi’s MIUI software offers good performance and features, but Android 7.1.2 Nougat based MIUI is not yet available for Redmi Note 3. It seems that Redmi Note 3 will not get official Android 7.1.2 based MIUI software update anytime soon. However, if you prefer stock Android UI rather than Xiaomi’s heavily customized MIUI for Redmi Note 3, then you will like LineageOS 14.1 ROM.
Before start, note that the LineageOS 14.1, based on the latest Android 7.1.2 Nougat AOSP ROM is currently a Nightly build. It means, the ROM is released for testing purpose and may come across bugs while using it on your phone. However, previous experience shows that the nightly build is almost stable.
If you are ready to face few issues, head over to the installation guide. This guide lets you know how to get LineageOS 14.1 running on your Redmi Note 3 Snapdragon Variant (kenzo).
a) Backup all data you have on the phone before proceeding
b) The below mentioned file for Redmi Note 3 Snapdragon Variant only
c) Battery charge above 80% to prevent accidental shutdown while flashing
d) Unlocked bootloader, root access and TWRP recovery on the phone (Follow this guide)
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. We can’t take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. This guide is intended for technically talented users only.
1. Download official LineageOS 14.1 ROM zip file (kenzo) [HERE] and save it on the phone
3. Switch off your phone and boot into TWRP recovery (Hold Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously. Continue to hold both buttons until the “MI” logo appears on the screen, and then release both keys).
4. In TWRP recovery, select Backup and create a Nandroid backup (recommended).
5. Now, select Wipe and then Advanced Wipe. Select Cache, System and Data partitions to be wiped and then Swipe to Wipe.
6. Go back to return to main menu, then select Install. Navigate to /sdcard, and select the LineageOS .zip package.
7. Follow the on-screen prompts to install the package. Once done, install Gapps zip file also.
8. Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, select Reboot, and then System.
The first boot will take long time to complete. Once done, setup and enjoy. Leave your views in the comment section below (Source – Lineage OS).