After a long wait, finally Samsung starts rolling out Android 7.0 Nougat OTA update for Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge in various regions. Because the OTA (over the air) update for Galaxy S6 (G920F) and S6 Edge (G955F) rolling out in phases, it will take a week or more to get it on all devices. If you are unable to install the update via OTA (over the air) for some reason, you can update your Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge to Android 7.0 Nougat manually.
The Android 7.0 Nougat update includes Samsung’s new Experience UI with enhanced usability, various new features like enhanced multi-window mode, better battery optimization, bundled notification, latest Android security patches (patch level January 2017), performance and stability improvements.
If you are looking for manually installing Android 7.0 Nougat update on your Galaxy S6 (G920F) or S6 Edge (G955F), check out the guide below. However, do remember that the safest method to update your device is via OTA.
For some reasons, you cannot install the OTA update on your device, for example, network issues, if you have modified the device, etc. In such cases, you need to install the firmware manually on your Galaxy devices.
a) Your S6/S6edge should be on stock firmware and stock recovery (not TWRP)
b) The below given method is for Indian Galaxy S6 G920F and S6 Edge G955F variants only (Do not try on other variant)
c) Samsung USB drivers installed on your Windows PC
d) Back up any data you have on the phone before proceeding with below steps
e) Full battery charge (at least 80%) on the phone
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
2. Unzip the downloaded firmware file (use 7zip)
3. Download Odin tool (v3.11.1) zip file [HERE] and unzip it. You will get Odin.exe file. Run the Odin.exe on your PC.
4. Now, on your Galaxy S6/S6 edge, enable “USB Debugging” and “OEM Unlock” by going to Settings > Developer Options.
5. Now, boot your device into “Download Mode” (Press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons together).
6. Now, connect your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge to PC. Wait until you get a blue sign in Odin. If not, install proper driver on your PC and start.
7. In Odin, make sure Re-partition is NOT ticked (tick only the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time check boxes, see below screenshot for example)
8. Select AP in Odin and choose the firmware file (with .tar extension) you have unzipped.
9. If everything OK, click the Start button. Once the ‘Pass’ message is appeared in Odin, reboot your phone. Enjoy the sweetest Nougat and the new UX on your S6/S6 edge.
Troubleshooting: In case you get a Fail message, repeat all the procedure carefully and ensure that you have downloaded correct firmware.
Any question? Leave it in the comment section below (Source – Sammobile)