There is no chance to get official Android Oreo update for Redmi Note 3, but its users can still enjoy the latest and sweetest Android 8.1 Oreo with custom ROMs. Android 8.1 Oreo based Nitrogen builds is now available for Redmi Note 3 (kenzo). You can download and install the ROM right now and experience Oreo features. If you are interested here is how to flash the custom ROM on your device.
In this guide, we show you how to install Nitrogen OS 8.1 ROM on the Redmi Note 3 international variant (kenzo). Developed by xyyx, the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) based ROM will bring new experience to users. If your device’s bootloader is unlocked and installed latest version of TWRP on it, then follow guide.
Android 8.1 Oreo will bring features like Picture-in-Picture mode (PIP), notification dots, Adaptive icons, Keyboard navigation, Background limits, Auto-fill passwords, Google Play protect security scan and much more.
Regarding the Nitrogen OS 8.1, this is a test build, but most aspects of the ROM are working as expected. Below are the know bugs of the current build.
a) Backup all data you have on the phone before proceeding
b) Battery charge above 50% to prevent accidental shutdown while flashing
c) Unlocked bootloader and TWRP recovery installed on the phone (Follow this guide)
How to Install Nitrogen AOSP 8.1 on Redmi Note 3
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. We can’t take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. This guide is intended for technically talented users only.
2. Switch off your phone and boot into TWRP recovery (Hold Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously. Continue to hold both buttons until the “MI” logo appears on the screen, and then release both keys).
3. In TWRP recovery, select Backup and create a Nandroid backup (recommended).
4. Now, select Wipe and then Advanced Wipe. Select Cache, System and Data partitions to be wiped and then Swipe to Wipe.
5. Go back to return to main menu, then select Install. Navigate to /sdcard, and select the ROM zip package.
6. Follow the on-screen prompts to install the package. Once done, flash Gapps.zip file as well.
Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, select Reboot, and then System. The first boot will take long time to complete. Once done, setup and enjoy. Leave your views in the comment section below.