There is no official announcement yet about Android 7.0 Nougat update for Xiaomi Redmi 3S and Redmi 3S Prime. Both devices are currently running on Android Marshmallow based MIUI 8 ROM. However, tech-savvy owners of Redmi 3S/Prime can enjoy Android 7.1.1 Nougat right now via LineageOS 14.1 custom ROM. A working build of unofficial LineageOS 14.1 is now available for download that you can install via TWRP recovery.
In this guide, we let you know how to install LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.1 Nougat) on Xiaomi Redmi 3S and Redmi 3S Prime. The guide provides detailed installation procedure for Redmi 3S/Prime (code named land), but note that the present status of the ROM is testing. Do not expect everything is working properly. For example, VoLTE, GPS, fingerprint, etc. are not working. However major components are working. Check full details at source before flashing the ROM.
Android 7.1.1 Nougat brings features like multi-window mode, bundled notifications, direct reply for notification, improved Doze battery saving feature, mobile data saving in standby mode, new emojis and several value added features to enhance user experience. The ROM also includes March 2017 security patches.
Pre-requisites for installing LineageOS 14.1:
1. Your Redmi 3S/Prime should have root access and latest version of TWRP custom recovery installed on it (refer this guide for instruction)
2. Backup every data you have on the phone
3. At least 70% charged phone.
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
2. Turn off your phone and boot into TWRP recovery mode (Press and hold Volume Down + Power Key together).
3. In recovery, select ‘Backup’ and create a Nandroid backup (recommended).
4. Now, select ‘Wipe’ and wipe Data, System, Cache and Dalvik Cache.
6. Finally, reboot your phone.
Setup your new OS and enjoy Android 7.1.1 Nougat and its awesome features. Leave your views in the comment section below. (Source – HridayHS)