Xiaomi is about to start beta testing of Android 7.0 based MIUI 8 on supported devices, but the Redmi 1S will not get the official Android Nougat update from Xiaomi. However, that does not mean you will not get the latest Android 7.1 on your Redmi 1S. The biggest developer community CyanogenMod has released CM14.1 Nightly build for Redmi 1S (Xiaomi – Armani) that you can flash right now and experience the latest Android 7.1 Nougat on it.
In this guide we will show you how to update Xiaomi Redmi 1S to Android 7.1 Nougat via official CM14.1 custom ROM. By installing CM14.1, Redmi 1S owners can enjoy stock Android UI, advanced battery saving feature, multi-window mode, bundled notification and several value added features.
Note that the present status of the CM14.1 for Redmi 1S is nightly, which means you will not get all the CyanogenMod specific features, like the theme engine right now. You need to wait little more. In addition, the ROM might include several bugs, so working of the OS will be unstable.
If you are interested to try the Android Nougat based CM14.1 on your Redmi 1S, check out the installation guide below.
Prerequisites for installing CM14.1 on Xiaomi Redmi 1S
– Backup any important data you have on the phone before proceeding with the below steps.
– Requires unlocked bootloader, root access and latest version of TWRP recover (v.3.0…) on the phone
– At least 80% battery charge remaining on your phone
Disclaimer: The below procedure will void your device’s warranty. Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
2. Transfer both zip files to your phone’s SD card.
3. Boot your phone into TWRP recovery (press Volume Up & Power key after switching off the phone)
4. In TWRP recovery, choose Backup and create a Nandroid backup (recommended)
5. Now, choose ‘Wipe’ and perform a full data wipe (Wipe Data/Factory Reset, wipe Cache Partition and Dalvik Cache)
6. Now, return to main recovery menu, choose ‘Install’, and find the CM14.1 ROM zip file you have transferred.
8. Finally reboot your device. It will take few minutes to complete the first boot.
Note: If you come across bootloop issue (stuck in boot), reboot to recovery (use Power and Volume up keys), and wipe cache partition, dalvik cache and factory reset.