Android 5.1 Lollipop update for Moto X 2013 might not see an official release very soon. However, if you cannot wait for the official update, an official CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM running on the latest Android 5.1 is now available for Moto X 2013. Rooted, bootloader unlocked Moto X 2013 users can enjoy Android 5.1 by installing CyanogenMod 12.1 Nightly(ghost)
Today’s tutorial let you know how to update Moto X 2013 to Android 5.1 with official CyanogenMod 12.1 Nightly ROM. The AOSP (Android Open Source Project) based CM12.1 is built on the Android 5.1 Lollipop OS, which means Moto X 2013 users can enjoy Lollipop features together with CyanogenMod features on their Moto X by flashing the ROM.
Along with Android Lollipop features and Material Design user interface, the CyanogenMod 12.1 Nightly build brings new features such as the new Cyanogen Mail powered by Boxer, Exchange support, multiple account integration, and many more to your Moto X 2013.
Note: Before you get start, keep in mind that CyanogenMod 12.1 is a nightly build, which means the ROM is not completely stable. Though most things are work well, still there are a few problems remaining.
WARNING: This procedure will void your device’s warranty. Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
2. Install latest TWRP/CWM recovery on your Moto X 2013
3. Boot your Moto X into recovery mode by holding Volume (-) and Power button together for some seconds.
4. In the menu, go to “Recovery” option using Volume (-) key and select it using Volume (+) key. You will see a red exclamation mark, press and hold Volume (+) and Power button for a few seconds to enter the “Recovery Mode”.
5. Once you are in the Custom Recovery, perform a factory reset and wipe out the Cache and Data partitions. Then, go to the “Advanced” menu and clear the “Dalvik cache” too.
6. Now, go back to the main menu, select “Install Zip” and then choose CM12.1 Nightly.
8. Now, wipe cache and dalvik cache. This step is optional but recommended in order to avoid bootloops.
Reboot your phone and enjoy CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1 Lollipop) on your Moto X 2013. Enjoy! (Source – Cyanogen)