LG has started to roll out Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for its last year flagship LG G3. Currently the update (build number 30B) is available for LG G3 D855 variant and update for other variants are imminent. LG’s current flagship G4 has already updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
LG G3 (D855) owners will receive the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update via OTA (over-the-air). However, tech savvy users who cannot wait for the OTA can install the update manually right now by downloading the official firmware (KDZ file) and using the LG Flash Tool.
Android 6.0 Marshmallow update brings performance enhancements, better battery life via Doze mode, and a number of new features like personalized app permission to LG G3. Interested users may follow the guide below to know how to flash the stock firmware manually on LG G3.
a) Install LG USB drivers on your computer (Windows); otherwise, your device will not be able to recognize your phone.
b) Your LG G3 should be updated to latest version of Android Lollipop
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only. Backup every data on your phone.
1. Download stock .kdz firmware file for LG G3 D855 [HERE]. The file extension should be .kdz.
2. Download LG Flashtool [HERE] and unzip it in a folder. Double click the ‘LGFlashTool2014.exe’ file to run it.
3. Now, boot your LG G4 into download mode. To do so, switch off the phone, then press the Volume up button. While pressing the Volume button, connect the phone to a USB cable. You should see ‘Firmware Update’ dialogue on the screen.
4. Now, on LG Flashtool, click the browse button, select the .kdz firmware file and then click ‘Normal Flash‘ if you are on LG stock firmware, click ‘CSE Flash’ if you are on custom ROM to flash the .kdz firmware on your LG G3.
5. You will get a ‘read phone information’ window as shown below. Just click the ‘Start’ button and proceed.
6. If asked for administrator permissions, just accept it.
7. You will now see ‘Select Country & Language’ window. Select ‘Different’ from the country list, then select ‘English’ from the language list [DO NOT tick the Smartphone upgrade check box] and then click ‘OK’ to start flashing firmware.
8. Once the progress bar reaches 100%, you will get ‘Connection to server failed’ error. This is normal, so do not disconnect your phone. Wait until you get ‘COM’ written in green text on your phone.
9. Once you get ‘COM’ written in green text on your phone screen, click OK to the “Connection to server failed” error.
10. Once the firmware flashing completed, your phone will reboot automatically.
Note that, the first boot will take more time than usual , so be patient. Once booted up enjoy Android 6.0 Marshmallow on your G3 (source – XDA)