Lenovo K5 and Lenovo K5 Plus owners can now update their handset to Android 7.0 Nougat via unofficial CyanogenMod 14 (CM14) custom ROM. Experienced users can install the ROM via custom recovery and enjoy new Android Nougat and stock Android UI on Lenovo Vibe K5 and K5 Plus. Read on to know the installation procedure, status of the ROM and prerequisites for installing unofficial CM14 on Lenovo K5/K5 Plus.
CyanogenMod 14 (unofficial) for Lenovo Vibe K5/K5 Plus is an initial Alpha build, which means the ROM is unstable, missing some features and contains several bugs that are not yet identified. Though most things are working (except video recording with stock camera app), the ROM is not yet ready to be used as a daily driver. The developer may fix these issues in the coming builds.
However, if you ready to face certain issues, you can experience Android Nougat right now on your Lenovo Vibe K5/K5 Plus. The below guide assume that you have root access and latest version of TWRP recovery on your Lenovo K5/K5 Plus.
To get this build on your Lenovo K5/K5 Plus follow the steps below and do not forget to create a backup of data you have on your phone before you jump to the guide.
1. This ROM is for Lenovo Vibe K5/K5 Plus (A6020a46), so do not try it on any other device
2. At least 70% battery charge remaining on the phone
3. Make Nandroid back up in TWRP recovery
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. This is recommended for technically talented users only.
2. Transfer both zip files to your phone’s storage
3. Boot your device into TWRP Recovery mode (Switch off, press and hold Volume down & Power button together)
4. In TWRP recovery, select ‘Backup’ and make a Nandroid backup (recommended)
5. Now, select ‘Wipe’ and then go to Advanced Wipe > select wipe cache, dalvik cache, system, data and swipe right to confirm it.
6. Now, go to main recovery menu, select ‘Install’, choose the ROM zip file and swipe to install it. Once done, choose Gapps zip file and swipe to install it.
7. Once again choose ‘Wipe’, wipe cache, dalvik cache, and then reboot your device.
Your Lenovo Vibe K5/K5 Plus will boot into CyanogenMod 14 (Android 7.0 Nougat). Setup and enjoy. Leave your views in the comment section below. (Source – scritch007)