Verizon variant Google Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones are come with locked bootloader. There is no official way to unlock the bootloader on these devices or Verizon will not allow you to unlock the bootloader for security reasons. However, Android developer beaups has found an exploit on the Verizon Pixel phones that can be used to unlock the booltoader.
Called ‘dePixel8’, the bootloader unlock script lets you unlock bootloader on Verizon Pixel and Pixel XL. Though involves security risks, there is no need to explain about the importance of unlocked bootloader for Android geeks. In order to flash custom ROM, get root access and install custom recovery, you will need to ensure that your bootloader is unlocked.
In the below guide, we show you how to unlock Verizon Pixel and Pixel XL bootloader using dePixel8 script. Note that the method will wipe all data you have on the phone, so backup important data before proceeding with the below steps.
The below guide assumes that you have ADB and Fastboot setup on your computer. Read this guide for instruction.
Warning: Unlocking the bootloader will normally carry out a factory reset for security reason, so back up your data first! Also, the procedure will void your device warranty.
Disclaimer: Follow this guide carefully and at your own risk. We will not take any responsibility if anything went wrong. This guide is intended only for technically talented users. This procedure will void your device warranty. It will also wipe your device completely, so backup every important file first.
1. Download ‘dePixel8’ unlock script from developer website here and save it in the folder where ADB is installed
2. Enable USB debugging on your phone in Developer Options.
3. Connect your Pixel phone to your PC via a USB cable
4. Go to the folder where you have saved the ‘dePixel8’ file and open a command window from there (Press Shift key, right click and choose Open a command window here option)
5. Now, issue the below commands one by one:
adb push dePixel8 /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/dePixel8
adb shell /data/local/tmp/dePixel8
6. Your phone will automatically boot into bootloader mode. If not, repeat the procedure again.
7. Once phone in bootloader mode, issue the following command to unlock the bootloader:
fastboot oem unlocking
8. You will see a confirmation screen. Just accept it (use Volume and Power buttons). It will take several minutes to complete the process.
9. Once done, issue the below command to boot into system
You have now successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Verizon Pixel and Pixel XL (Source)