In this tutorial, we will show you how to unlock your LG G3 and install custom TWRP recovery on it using Bump. Bump is a bootloader unlock tool that lets you unlock your LG G3 letting you flash anything that has been “Bump’d”, including the TWRP recovery image. This “Bump’d” method supports all variants of LG G3.
Unlocked LG G3 with custom TWRP recovery provides a number of features over and above the stock recovery such as backup &restores firmware, flash custom ROMs and applies various tweaks. The “Bump’d” TWRP recovery supports all variants of LG G3 such as D855, D852, D850, F400, D851, D852G, LS 990 and VS985.
Before you get started, please note that Bump does not actually unlock your LG G3’s bootloader; it gains the process in a similar way. You can flash Bump’d images (here TWRP recovery image) on your LG G3 easily via ADB or via Flashify app with root access.
1. LG G3 must be rooted. You can use any method to root your phone, for instance Stump Root method is popular for LG G3.
2. Backup everything, as it may wipe your phone.
3. Setup ADB and Fastboot [Guide]
4. TWRP recovery image [Download here]
Method – 1
1. Copy the downloaded recovery.img file to your phone’s internal SD card.
2. Open the ADB and Fastboot directory, press Shift key + Right click on any empty space inside the folder, and select ‘Open command window here’ from the context menu.
3. Issue the adb devices command to verify your LG G3 is connected in ADB mode. If not verified, install USB driver for your LG G3.
4. Once your G3 is connected to your PC, issue the following commands one-by-one to install TWRP Recovery on your G3
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
dd if=/sdcard/twrp-22.214.171.124_d850-signed.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
[Change the name of TWRP recovery in the last command with the file name you downloaded for your device]
Method – 2
1. Copy the downloaded recovery.img file to your phone’s internal SD card
2. Install the free app Flashify on your LG G3 from Play Store [Here]
3. Open Flashify, select the option “Recovery Image” and then select the TWRP recovery.img file.
4. When it asks for confirmation, tap on “Yup”. It will flash TWRP recovery on your LG G3. Once the process is completed, the device will reboot into TWRP recovery mode.
How to Boot Your LG G3 Into Recovery Mode
To boot your LG G3 into recovery mode (here TWRP custom recovery), turn off your device completely and then turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key until you see the TWRP recovery interface (source – XDA)