Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 is not a developer friendly device. If you unlock its bootloader, install custom recovery like TWRP or gain root access on it will cause some warranty issues. If that does not bother you, and have enough reasons to get root access and TWRP custom recovery on your Redmi Note 3, then simply follow the steps below.
The main benefits of unlocked bootloader, TWRP custom recovery and root access on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 are it lets you strip off Xiaomi’s bloat apps, flash custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, boot battery life, perform full backup of the phone or just about anything, however you should have some technical skill.
Before you begin to unlock bootloader, install TWRP custom recovery and enable root access on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, note that the below method supports Redmi Note 3 Snapdragon variant only. Do not try it on other variants.
Disclaimer: This guide is for advanced users only. We will not take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. Also note that the below method only supports Redmi Note 3 Snapdragon variant only
How to Unlock Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Bootloader
Warning: Though Xiaomi lets you unlock Redmi Note 3’s bootloader officially, it will wipes your phone completely and loses manufacturer’s warranty. So, back up any important data on your phone and then proceed with caution.
1. Apply for unlocking permissions [HERE]. It will take few days to get permission.
2. Once you get permission, download the Mi Unlock app [HERE]
3. Run the Mi Unlock app on your computer, login to your account, connect your device and follow the unlock procedure.
Note: If you cannot wait for the unlock permission, you can unlock Redmi Note 3 without permission, which is risky and may not recommend. We will give the details in another post.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 3
1. Assume that ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your computer. If not, follow the instruction given here.
2. Install proper driver for your Redmi Note 3 on your computer. Get it from official website.
3. Download official TWRP recovery for Redmi Note 3 (kenzo) [HERE] and rename the file to “recovery.img”
4. Download modified boot image (China/Global ROM, GlobalStable7.1.8.img) [HERE] and rename the file to “boot.img”
5. Enable “USB Debugging” and “OEM Unlock” on your device (Settings > About Phone > Tap on the Build Number
several times until you get the Developer Options) In Developer Options, enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock.
6. Copy and paste the TWRP recovery image and modified boot image inside the ADB installation folder.
7. Connect your device to your PC and open a command window inside the ADB installation folder (press Shift key, right click and select open command window here option)
8. Now, issue the following commands one by one:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock-info
[If the bootloader status is locked, unlock it first and proceed]
9. Now, issue the below command, which will flash modified boot image on your phone:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
10. Now, flash TWRP recovery by issuing the below command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
11. Once done, reboot your phone by issuing the below command:
How to Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
1. Download Chainfire’s SuperSU zip file [HERE] and save it on your device
2. Boot your device into TWRP recovery mode by issuing the below command:
adb reboot recovery
3. In recovery, tap install, select the SuperSU zip file and swipe right to confirm the action.
4. Once done, reboot your Redmi Note 3.
Any question, leave it in the comment section below.